Skip to Main Content

Weeks-Townsend Memorial Library

Library FAQs


1. How do I get to your library from outside of Barbourville?

Set your GPS to 310 College Street, Barbourville, KY 40906.

From the North Take I-75 south to Rt. 25E (Exit 29) and proceed east for 17 miles to Barbourville (Union College sign).

From the South Take I-75 north to exit US-25, Continue on US-25 0.7 mi., Bear Right to take the ramp and Merge onto KY-3041(Corbin Bypass) - 5.6 mi., Exit right onto US-25 E - 13.4 mi. to Barbourville.

From the Northeast or East Take I-81 south to I-181 north (eight minutes) exit to 11W and proceed west (approximately 50 miles) to Rt. 25E turn north (one hour) to Barbourville.

From the West Take Cumberland Parkway proceed to I-75 and go south. Follow north directions (above) from this point.

Once in Barbourville: Turn Right on KY-11 - 0.3 mi., Bear Right on KY-2421 - 0.1mi., Continue on COLLEGE ST - 0.1 mi. to Union College. Drive almost 1 block and look for “Ramsey Circle” on the right and proceed to top of circle and the WTML is near the left hand side of the circle drive (between Speed Hall and Centennial Hall).

2. How do I access your subscription databases from off-campus?

To access subscription databases from off-campus, you must be an active student, current staff member or current faculty member.  For most databases, you will login using your Union College username and password.  If those credentials do not work, you may need to login to MyUnion and find the current password for the particular database you are using. This is located in the Library folder under both the Students and Academics tabs.  You may then go to our Library and Information Resources page and login to your favorite database (Academic Search Premier, JSTOR, etc.) or use our new EBSCOhost Integrated Search to cross search much of our online collection all at once.

3. How do I search the library catalog?

Go to uCat for the online public access catalog. You may then search by  a variety of search strategies, e.g. subject, title of item, author, etc.

4. How many items may I check out at one time?

All Union College students, faculty, and staff may borrow materials from the library. Each borrower must have a valid bar-coded identification card or library-issued card. Borrowing limits vary: undergraduates, 35 books; graduate students, 50 books; faculty and staff, 75 books. Union College alumni and trustees are entitled to borrow library materials. Also, residents of Knox County, KY over the age of 16 may obtain a borrowing card. Townspersons are limited to three books; alumni and trustees may borrow five books.

5. How do I get in touch with a librarian?

You may call our Information Desk at 606-546-1240 anytime during our hours of operation and someone will be happy to assist you. You may also contact us via Facebook Twitter, or Instagram.  If you are trying to reach a specific librarian or staff member,  names can be found in the Campus Directory or you can go directly to the Library Staff page.

6. Is your library open to the general public?

As a Government Depository, we are open to the public.  Local townspeople may browse our collections, check out books, and use many of our computers.  However, because we are an academic library, we must give priority to the needs of our students.  Visitors are asked to limit computer use to two hours and must sign in upon entering and leaving the library.  Masks must be worn at all times while in the library due to COVID-19 restrictions.  

7. If I am a visitor, may I use one of the library's computers?

Yes – provided that you over 18 years of age, have proof of identity and sign in on the proper forms. Visitors are asked to limit their computer time to two hours or less.  Masks must be worn at all times while in the library due to COVID-19 restrictions.  

8. Can I check out a computer for overnight use?

A limited number of laptops are available for overnight checkout by current Union College Students.  Students must agree to and sign the library's Overnight Laptop Policy prior to checking out their first overnight computer each semester.  Failure to follow the rules as laid out in the Policy may result in the loss of overnight checkout privileges.

9. If you don't have the item I want, can you get it for me?

We can certainly try.  We are often able to obtain hard-to-find books, articles, DVDs, tapes, and other items from libraries that do have them via  InterLibrary Loan.  It normally takes at least a week for loan items to come in and availability does vary, but we will do our best to get what you are looking for.

10. If the book I want is only available as an electronic resource, how do I access it?

You can access our electronic resources through the eBooks link in uCat

11. Are there any items in your library which may not be checked out?

The following collections Do Not Circulate: Genealogy, Lincoln, Kentucky, and Reference.

12. Where are reserve materials located?

You will find reserve materials behind the Information Desk.  Materials are organized by instructor, and most reserve items are limited to in-library use with a two-hour checkout.

13. Does your library have a genealogy section?

Yes.  Our Cumberland Gap Genealogy Collection features a number of materials pertaining to genealogical research, including an up-to-date collection of the Register of the Kentucky Historical Society, regional guides for several southern states, and even how-to books for those just getting started in the study of their family history.  Genealogy books do not check out, but all are welcome to browse our collection and may photocopy material of interest. 

14. How much does printing and copying cost?

Printing/Copying costs $0.05 per page for black/white pages and $0.15 for color pages.

15. Are food and drinks permitted in the Library?

Food and drinks are not prohibited, but we do ask that patrons who bring those items into the library be mindful of how fragile our books, newspapers, and computers are.  Please take care when eating or drinking in the building.

16. Will my PC work in the Library?

Your PC should work in the Library if it has a wireless connection. Students can alternately use one of our in-house computers.  If you are a visitor unable to connect to the library's wireless network, you will need to stop at the Information Desk for a username and password.

17. What if I do not have a computer of my own?

We have several computers set up in the Reference Room as well as upstairs. We have a collection of laptops that may be reserved by students, faculty and staff.

18. Is the library accessible to the handicapped?

We do have a ramp for handicapped access, and several wheel-chair accessible study carrels upstairs in our Stacks.  If you should need any additional assistance, please feel free to contact one of our staff members.

19. What are the library's hours of operation?

The Library’s regular semester hours are as follows:

Sunday – 1:00 pm to 11:00 pm
Monday thru Thursday – 7:30 am to 11:00 pm
Friday – 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
Saturday – CLOSED

Please check the front doors for special posted hours.

20. What is the library policy concerning the U.S. Government Depository Collection?

Free and open access to the in-house Weeks-Townsend Government Documents Collection is available to all library patrons.  All online Union College U.S. Government publications are available through uCat without restrictions.